If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your Personal Information, then please contact us using the contact details provided at the end of Section 5.
A. About Us
The Awakening Foundation is a nonprofit foundation (the "Foundation") headquartered in the State of Arkansas in the United States ("we," "us" and "our”).
B. Key Terms
"Member" means any person or entity that has signed up with us to receive newsletters, information or social media updates.
"Personal Information" means any information that identifies or can be used to identify a Member, a Contact, or a Visitor, directly or indirectly. Examples of Personal Information include, but are not limited to, first and last name, date of birth, email address, gender, occupation, or other demographic information.
"Visitor" means any person who visits any of our Websites.
"you" and "your" means, depending on the context, either a Member, a Contact, or a Visitor.
This section applies to the Personal Information we collect and process.
A. Information We Collect
The Personal Information that we may collect broadly falls into the following categories:
(i) Information you provide to us: In the course of engaging with our website, you may provide Personal Information about you. Personal Information is often, but not exclusively, provided to us when you sign up for the newsletter, send us an email, or communicate with us in any other way.
This information may include:
• Registration information: When you register for updates or information, you will be asked to provide certain basic information, such as your name, email address, location, and phone number.
• Billing and communications information: If you make a donation, you may also need to provide us with payment and billing information, such as your credit card details and billing address. The Awakening Foundation will also maintain a record of your billing transactions and purchases, and any communications and responses.
This information may include:
• Device information: We collect information about the device and applications you use to access the website, such as your IP address, your operating system, your browser ID, and other information about your system and connection.
• Log data: Our web servers keep log files that record data each time a device accesses those servers and those log files contain data about the nature of each access, including originating IP addresses.
• Product usage data: We collect usage data about you whenever you interact with our website, which may include the dates and times you access the website and your browsing activities (such as what portions of the website are used). We also collect information regarding the performance of the website, including metrics related to the deliverability of emails and other communications you send through the website. This information allows us to improve the content and operation of the website, and facilitate research and analysis of the website.
(ii) Information we collect from other sources: From time to time, we may obtain information about you from third-party sources, such as public databases, social media platforms, third-party data providers and our joint marketing partners. We take steps to ensure that such third parties are legally or contractually permitted to disclose such information to us.
• Examples of the information we receive from other sources include demographic information (such as age and gender), device information (such as IP addresses), location (such as city and state), and online behavioral data (such as information about use of social media websites, page view information and search results and links). We use this information, alone or in combination with other information (including Personal Information) we collect, to enhance our ability to provide relevant marketing and content to you and to develop and provide you with more relevant products, features, and services.
• Device information: We may collect information about the type of device and operating system you use. We do not ask for, access, or track any location-based information from your mobile device at any time while downloading or using our mobile apps or website.
• Product usage data: We may use mobile analytics software to better understand how people use our application. We may collect information about how often you use the application and other performance data.
B. Use of Personal Information
We may use the Personal Information we collect through the website or other sources for a range of reasons, including:
• To meet legal requirements, including complying with court orders, valid discovery requests, valid subpoenas, and other appropriate legal mechanisms.
• To provide information to representatives and advisors, including attorneys and accountants, to help us comply with legal, accounting, or security requirements.
• To prosecute and defend a court, arbitration, or similar legal proceeding.
• To respond to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
• For our data analytics projects. Our data analytics projects use data from Mailchimp accounts, including Personal Information of Contacts, to provide and improve the Services. We use information like your sending habits and your Contacts’ details and purchase history, so we can make more informed predictions, decisions, and products for our Members. If you or your Contact prefers not to share this data, you can alter the security settings on your account (as described here) to opt out of data analytics projects, or your Contact can opt out of data analytics projects at any time by emailing us at email@example.com. For example, we use data from Mailchimp accounts to enable product recommendation, audience segmentation, and predicted demographics features for our Members. We will act as a data controller to process data for our data analytics projects in reliance on our legitimate business interests of improving and enhancing our products and services for our Members. As always, we take the privacy of Personal Information seriously, and will continue to implement appropriate safeguards to protect this Personal Information from misuse or unauthorized disclosure.
• Other purposes. To carry out other legitimate business purposes, as well as other lawful purposes about which we will notify you.
C. Cookies and Tracking Technologies
We and our partners may use various technologies to collect and store information when you use our Services, and this may include using cookies and similar tracking technologies, such as pixels and web beacons. For example, we use web beacons in the emails we send on your behalf. These web beacons track certain behavior such as whether the email sent through the Services was delivered and opened and whether links within the email were clicked. They also allow us to collect information such as the recipient’s IP address, browser, email client type and other similar details. We use this information to measure the performance of your email campaigns, and to provide analytics information and enhance the effectiveness of our Services. Reports are also available to us when we send email to you, so we may collect and review that information.
D. Member Distribution Lists
A Distribution List can be created in a number of ways, including by importing Contacts, such as through a CSV or directly from your email client. Your Distribution Lists are stored on a secure Mailchimp server. We do not, under any circumstances, sell your Distribution Lists. If someone on your Distribution List complains or contacts us, we might then contact that person. You may export (download) your Distribution Lists from Mailchimp at any time.
If we detect abusive or illegal behavior related to your Distribution List, we may share your Distribution List or portions of it with affected ISPs or anti-spam organizations to the extent permitted or required by applicable law.
If a Contact chooses to use the Forward to a Friend (FTF) link in an email campaign a Member sends, it will allow the Contact to share the Member’s email content with individuals not on the Member’s Distribution List. When a Contact forwards an email to a friend, we do not store the Contact’s email address or their friend’s email address, and no one is added to any Distribution List as a result of the FTF link. The Member who created the email campaign only sees an aggregate number of times their email campaign was forwarded by a Contact and does not have access to the email addresses used to share or receive that forwarded content.
E. Other Data Protection Rights
You and your Contacts may have the following data protection rights:
• To access, correct, update or request deletion of Personal Information. Mailchimp takes reasonable steps to ensure that the data we collect is reliable for its intended use, accurate, complete and up to date. As a Member, you can manage many of your individual account and profile settings within the dashboard provided through the Mailchimp platform, or you may contact us directly by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also manage information about your Contacts within the dashboard provided through the Mailchimp platform to assist you with responding to requests to access, correct, update or delete information that you receive from your Contacts.
• In addition, individuals who are residents of the EEA can object to processing of their Personal Information, ask to restrict processing of their Personal Information or request portability of their Personal Information. You can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided in the "Questions and Concerns" section below. If any of your Contacts wishes to exercise any of these rights, they should contact you directly, or contact us as described in the "Privacy for Contacts" section below.
• Similarly, if Personal Information is collected or processed on the basis of consent, the data subject can withdraw their consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your Personal Information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent. If you receive these requests from Contacts, you can segment your lists within the Mailchimp platform to ensure that you only market to Contacts who have not opted out of receiving such marketing.
• The right to complain to a data protection authority about the collection and use of Personal Information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. Contact details for data protection authorities in the EEA are available here.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection law. We may ask you to verify your identity in order to help us respond efficiently to your request. If we receive a request from one of your Contacts, we will either direct the Contact to reach out to you, or, if appropriate, we may respond directly to their request.